Monday, July 9, 2007

Over the Top

So my boss walks in as I'm leaving a message for someone. When I'm done, he says, sarcastically, "so professional, you're always so professional". Because of his tone, I ask if there is something wrong with that. He says that sometimes it's over the top and makes people question whether or not they are professional.

So what the hell am I supposed to do with that bit of criticism, be less professional? Am I supposed to dress worse and use bad grammar too for fear that I may intimidate someone?!?! Mostly I'm mad because this has confused me for a while. I've been told time and time again that I am intimidating, but I don't understand why that is bad or what I am doing to intimidate people. It's not that I'm aggressive, or is it? Is it that I make people feel like they are in competition or is it just that insecure people feel even more insecure around me.

Augh . . .

1 comment:

NicciN said...

Wow! It sounds like your boss is intimidated by you. It is hard that you can't control how people perceive you. I don't think you can make people think they are in competition with you, they have to bring that themselves.