So we turned our lives upside down this weekend and adopted a gorgeous, and strong, Labrador/Brittany Spaniel mix from Labrador Rescue. His name is Ollie. Ollie is between 2 and 4 years old and weighs about 60 pounds. He was rescued the day he was to be euthanized and after spending one month is the shelter. From the shelter, he spent one month in boarding and then one month with a foster family. So his last three months have been pretty unsteady.
We adopted him to be a running partner for me as our current dog is getting older and having joint issues. She will still come on the walks, but can't run anymore without injury.
Since adopting Ollie Saturday morning, we have had a lot of excitement. He has:
- Escaped the house twice, running up and in and out of the street for about 1/4 mile each time.
- Eaten 1/4 of a birthday cake, off the kitchen counter, damn those long legs!
- Discovered how to get into the automatic close garbage can in the kitchen.
- Destroyed one toy which our current dog never even damaged.
- Tore up the carpet tack strip in our bedroom entry way.
- Run 20 miles and still has energy to spare. (The husband has also taken him running - I couldn't dream of going that far in three days!)
- Eaten the nose off of one of my son's stuffed animals.
- Found the opossums living in the neighbors bushes.
- Pulled me in directions I didn't know I could go.
- Captured my heart.
Now I just need him to capture my husband's heart!
Wish us luck!