Monday, October 13, 2008

3 days, 3 parties, and lowered expectations

This past weekend was the perfect storm. I was sick all week with a cold that moved to my chest and I had a PTA function to throw on Friday night, a birthday party to throw on Saturday night, and breakfast to host Sunday morning. It was ripe for pushing myself to the edge and burning out . . . but I didn't.

I mused with my husband about why and we came up with the following:

- good planning - thinking things, events, needs through ahead of time
- good coordination - knowing who was doing what and being able to ask him to do things
- lowered expectations - kids were old enough not to need activities planned for them, Costco pizza was fine, generic root beer was fine, minimal decorations were fine, purchaased bagels instead of homemade coffee cake was fine, etc.

I must admit that volunteering with the PTA was especially frustrating as a working mom not able to make their meetings or visit the school during the day. It made me feel a little outcast.

All in all a great weekend with some good take-away lessons!

1 comment:

NicciN said...

Wow -- good for you. I could use these lessons too. I know what you mean about the outcast feelings. All of my Mom's club meetings are during the day as well as most of the events. It is hard to feel like I fit in.