Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Battlefield

Yesterday my boss berated me in front of staff and then closed the door and I was reduced to tears. I was so mad at myself for getting sucked into the useless drama and expending, no wasting my precious emotional energy.

I woke up steaming mad and here and now, I am fighting back.

I have started my campaign politically to educate others on what he's really doing, and I am becoming more agressive and successful in my interviews.

In deciding to fight, it is interesting to me that I may still have to leave and that I may learn some valuable lessons. These lessons are summed up nicely on Kickbully.com.

Understand the benefits

- A bully is useful to you because he provides a huge challenge
- If you see it through, you will win in the long run
- You are accelerating the pain, which means the pain will end sooner
- The worse things get, the easier it will be to rebuild your life
- You will be a better, stronger and wiser person when it is over
- Winning doesn't necessarily mean you will stay in your current job
- Winning is always standing up for your rights
- You will learn about true friendship (or lack thereof)
- You will become a better judge of people
- You will learn what to look for in future friends
- You will learn what to look for in future employers

Useful reminders to yourself

I appreciate the many opportunities this job provides me for personal growth.
When this is over, I will be a much better and wiser person.
When this is over, my life will be much better.
I don't care how bad things get, I'm going to finish this.
Short-term pain is the price I must pay for long-term gain.


In working through my emotions last night a painful memory came back. I remember crying in the kitchen when I was leaving my last job, saying "At least in my new job, I won't be crying in the kitchen after work." No, instead, I have been crying at work, reduced to an emotional mess by a bullying boss.

I am so mad at myself for allowing this to happen, but also proud of myself for noticing the pattern and acknowledging my role in it.

In talking with a city manager today, he said that I can be intimidating to some because of my credentials and abilities. I asked how do I control that, and he replied to work extra hard to not be threatening or work for someone who won't be threatened. The former doesn't come naturally to me and isn't necessarily a skill I want to develop.

Hence, my initial resolution to work for someone much older than me next time. Or perhaps better educated. Or perhaps with a healthy sense of self-esteerm and clear understanding of his/her role and mine.

Yes, I am preparing for battle and embarking on a life changing journey as I learn to not create this pattern for myself in the future.

1 comment:

NicciN said...

I feel so excited for you. This feels like a major shift and I feel so glad that you have decided not to take it anymore. You do and always have deserved better.

It is interesting to see the benefits and reminders you listed I would have never thought of it that way, but it makes sense.

Good for you!