Monday, October 29, 2007

Compliment?

Today at my weekly Rotary meeting, the club president asked for my help in breaking down an easel. He said something to the effect of "Hey Squish, I need an engineer over here!"

I went over to help and broke down the easel quickly. He then said, "Wow, you and I could never be married, my ego couldn't take it. Your lawyer husband must be humiliated by you."

Now, the club president is a sweetheart and I can only imagine that he meant this as a compliment, but it sure made me feel weird. Why is being strong so intimidating to some people. He asked for the help - it's not like I shoved him aside or something. Am I supposed to act dumber or weaker than I really am?

Thank goodness I have a wonderful husband with a strong ego who isn't humiliated by me. Or maybe he's to intimidated to tell me . . .

2 comments:

Sierra said...

A comment like that was probably intended as a compliment, but came out a little more revealing about his thought processes than he wanted it to. Careful girl, he thinks you are a catch and that scares the bejeebees out of him.

NicciN said...

Comments like that are so hard. It really seems like it was meant to be a compliment. Humiliated is a really strong word in that situation. It really is all about him and not about you or your husband.